Friday, March 18, 2011

40 bags in 40 days: Magazines - Check!

Done with the magazines!

Here is what I am left with:

A small stack of magazines to keep...



And a big box of magazines - to go!



As I was going through them, I came across a few little gems - like this one:



It advises to keep only individual articles rather than the whole magazine.  Put the articles in a folder and recycle the rest of the magazine. 

I actually disagree with that advice! - and here is why:

I tried to do that a few years ago.  I went through my magazines at the time and put the articles I deemed interesting in a binder.  (I had more categories than could fit in a folder...) 

Check it out.  It was a work of art!



The only problem was - look at it closely....



The magazines were from 2006. The articles were probably put into that binder in 2007 - and I looked at them exactly - zero (!) times since then.  

It's 2011 now!  Does anybody see anything wrong with that picture?  

Clearly, a binder takes up less room than a box of magazines, but in this day and age, there is a better solution. 

Most magazines have an online presence - and most articles can actually be found online.  As a matter of fact, recipes can be found much more easily since the pages have search features. 

So, instead of ripping out the pages from the magazine, my articles are now saved this way: 



Digital clutter rather than paper clutter.  It takes up much less space. 

Also, don't you hate it when you're in a waiting room, leafing through a magazine just to find that the page you're interested in - is missing!

So, by ripping out the pages, you're turning the magazine into trash.  Don't do that.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment