Friday, March 4, 2011

Taste of Home: Koeniginpastetchen

Another one of my favorite foods growing up was Königin-Pastetchen with chicken fricasee.

Since I didn't know if I could find the pastries in the US, I imported them from Germany.





Now for the filling...

I was stuck on this dish for quite a while since I seemed to remember that my Mom got the filling out of a can somehow.  I'm not sure, if she did, but eventually I came across this recipe and decided that I could probably do that. 



I modified it a little bit - added kapers, left out the asparagus, and it was pretty good.  

PS: I almost forgot. The recipe below makes way more fricasee than needed for the pastry shells.  It's enough to fill the shells and provide a family of 3 with dinner (rice with chicken fricasee and a side salad) - at least twice.

PPS: Looking at the picture as compared to the picture on the package, I need to learn the art of decoration.... I shall buy some green sprigs of some sort at the grocery store.

Recipe: Königin-Pastetchen with chicken fricasee

Ingredients:
600 g Chicken breasts
6 Königinpastetchen
600 g mushrooms 
1 tsp capers
2 TBsp margarine
2 TBsp flour
300 ml milk
2 heaping TBsp sour cream
salt and pepper
1 l vegetable bouillon
 
Preparation:
Add chicken breast to cold vegetable bouillon. Boil for 15-20 min. Take chicken beast out to cool and set bouillon aside.  

Melt margarine in a tall pot.  Add flour, then milk and simmer on low heat.  Now add the sour cream. Season to taste with salt, pepper and vegetable bouillon.   

Wash and clean mushrooms, cut into quarters, if necessary and add to the sauce.  Cut the chicken breast into small pieces and add to the sauce. Add the capers, then boil one more time and seasoning, if necessary. 

Carefully cut the lid from the inside of the pastry.  Then warm Königinpastetchen in the oven at 250°F ca. for ca 10 minutes. 

Put pastry shell on a plate and fill with chicken fricasee. Add the lid to the top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment