Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday

Happy Belated Birthday to my stepson.

Silly me, I completely forgot that his birthday was yesterday, not because I forgot the birthday, but because I didn't realize that yesterday was the third....  Apparently, I do that a lot.

But that's not why I am writing about the birthday issue. I am writing this because of the word "belated".

See, when I first moved to the States, I would find greeting cards in the store that read "Happy belated birthday".  I had no idea what "belated" meant.  It was not a word I learned in school.  (I could have looked it up in a dictionary, but never did.  And yes, this was pre-google.)

Since the "belated" birthday cards could usually be found right next to "Happy Birthday to granddaughter" or "Happy birthday from uncle" I decided that the word probably meant something similar to "related".  "Belated"/"related" - you see the connection, right?

I figured that a "belated" was somebody who was not related, but not quite a friend - an acquaintance so to speak.

I took me a few years to figure out what it really meant.....

No comments:

Post a Comment