Saturday, July 16, 2016

Thai Potato and Vegetable Yellow Curry (vegan)

The theme for our Monday night dinner on 7/11/16 was Thai.  I love Thai food.  The first time I ate Thai was in Chicago, at a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant that I wished I could remember either the name or the location of....  I remember reading the menu and wondering what coconut milk would taste like in soup since I only knew coconut as an ingredient in sweet dishes like cookies and cakes,

To my surprise, it tasted absolutely wonderful - and to this day Tom Kah soup is one of my favorite dishes ever. Unfortunately, I can't make Tom Kah soup for Monday night dinner since it does not contain potatoes - and the potato challenge is still in full swing.

My daughter was not going to be able to make it to Monday night dinner since she would be out of town for a conference. That meant that I would not have to consider her food sensitivities when cooking.  Peppers were going to be added to this one!

As usually, my dish started with an evening of googling "Thai potatoes".  Of course I also had to make sure that I didn't repeat the Thai potato recipe I made last time.  When I came across a Thai yellow curry potato recipe that called for a homemade Thai yellow curry paste, I knew I had found a winner: Thai potato and vegetable yellow curry it was.



Due to the time constraints I have for Monday night dinners, this was going to have to be a crock pot dish similar to this Slow cooker Thai yellow curry (vegan) I found.

Yellow Curry Paste Recipe (modified from Thai yellow curry paste to account for the things had in my pantry) :

Ingredients:
1 large onion
1/2 cup of minced garlic
2 tsp of ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp of chili pepper paste
1½ tsp salt
2-3 tsp turmeric
2-3 tsp mild curry powder
2 tsp ground coriander
3 tsp lemongrass paste
3 tsp cilantro paste

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Wrap the onion and garlic in foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Puree all ingredients in a food processor and puree until the paste reaches the desired consistency.

Thai Potato and Vegetable Yellow Curry

Ingredients:
10-15 small Yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, diced
1/2 - 1 cup yellow curry paste, (recipe above)
2 orange bell peppers, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 head cauliflower (separated into florets)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 15-ounce can coconut milk
salt and additional yellow curry powder to taste

Instructions:
Add all the ingredients to the crock pot.
Set to low for 8-10 hours.
(I prepared all the ingredients other than the potatoes the evening before and refrigerated them overnight. In the morning I cut up the potatoes, added everything to the crock pot and set it to low.)

I forgot to take a picture before I took the crock pot to the dinner.  There were no leftovers....

Source Recipes:
Slow cooker Thai yellow curry
Thai potato and vegetable curry
Thai yellow curry paste
Yellow chicken curry with potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment