Monday, January 15, 2024

My greatest Joy

 I teach biology.  As any biology teacher knows, it's nice to have kids.  Kids are fun and kids are great.  (Kids are also expensive, a pain in the butt and they talk back, if you've raised them right.) 

But kids are a means to an end. 

The true measure of success is - grandkids!

I got a few of those, but due to life circumstances, I can enjoy this one like I have not enjoyed a grandchild in the past!

The current one - largely because she is two - is my greatest joy!

When this grandkid was born, we had been privy to the dangers of the Internet for a while.  Our children grew up with Facebook and my children - as millennials - were keenly aware of existing privacy issues.  So they issued a moratorium on posting excessive numbers of pictures of the grandkid. 

While I'd love to show you pictures of my grand child, because she's an exceptionally cute little thing, I am not only respecting my daughter's wishes, I also secretly enjoy the challenge of trying to share the joy I have with the kid while I never once showing her actual face.  That's her Mom and Dad's prerogative.

Today's Facebook post is a case in point: 




Little bits grabbed a book from the shelf - a big book, not one with pictures - and read it to me.  This gave her Mom and me the opportunity to talk a bit while she was occupied with reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment