Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Oma and Baby in a blanket fort

This is the adventure that started the Pocket Oma idea.  My kids know that I'm a bit nuts.  But it's a fun, innocent, childlike, explorative kind of nuts - and I love interacting with itty bitty like this.  Apart from that, when was the last time you were in a comforter fort built by a 2 year old.  

I just got to experience the feeling again while sitting in my queen size bed 2 states away.  Play tents and play houses were great, when it was easy to get on the floor - and when no parts were in the way of folding yourself in half.  A few months ago I could have told you that [spoken in your best grandma voice]"I have not been able to climb into a blanket fort in years".  

My main problem was that I didn't have access to a 2 year old, so there was not a pressing need for a blanket fort.  Once the 1 year old exited, she was a bit far away... but in the last few months we've had access both in person and over the phone. 

So we have been in a blanket fort in real life.  When munchkin was at Oma's house, we figured out that 2 high back chairs and a blanket make great fort for 2. 

But this fort preceded the fort at Oma's house.  Her Daddy gets credit for this blanket fort idea.  He started it with her one day - maybe with a light down there - and she ran with it.  During the next call with Oma, I was invited to visit her and the baby doll in the blanket fort. 

Mom tried to come it, too.  But only her head fit.    


Please tell me that I am not the only person doing this. What fun games are you playing with your grandkids?  

Safe games only!  In this house we buckle our seatbelt and we play games that everyone enjoys.  We try to practice gentle parenting and education and science is the greatest thing that ever existed, 

What can I do with this child as she is getting older?  I suspect that it will get easier for a little bit as she is learning how to talk.  But then it will be hard to keep her attention.  

How do I read a book to her?  I have some ideas, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if anyone has figured this out already.  

No comments:

Post a Comment